Trade Policy Amp Business Environment Advisor
Deutsche Gesellschaft Fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit GIZ GmbH
GIZ Salary Scale For Band 4
DESCRIPTIONPro-poor Growth and Promotion of Employment in Nigeria (SEDIN) Programme
SEDIN is implemented by GIZ on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and co-financed by the European Community.
SEDIN aims at improving the employment and income situation of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSME) through four components. The “Access to Finance” component strengthens the supply of financial services and builds the financial capabilities of clients. The “Private Sector Development” component improves access to business services, strengthens entrepreneurial skills and addresses key barriers to business. Both components work at the national level as well as in the three focus states Ogun, Plateau and Niger. The “Nigeria Competitiveness Project” is an EU-financed component that focuses on selected value chains in Ogun, Oyo, Lagos, Plateau and Kaduna. The “Migration and Reintegration” component aims at improving the employment situation of returning and potential migrants, with a special focus on Lagos and Edo States.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
▪ Is responsible for developing budgets and estimating expenses for programme activities in the above- mentioned field.
▪ Assists national and international advisers or consultants in carrying out their work
The Trade Policy & Business Environment Advisor provides support in
▪ Dealing with all questions arising in this area.
▪ Identifying relevant problems and issues and assisting in formulating implementation-oriented solutions.
▪ Further developing instruments and assisting in introducing innovation and change.
▪ Managing knowledge by disseminating and documenting know-how, experience and information.
The Trade Policy & Business Environment Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Project management The Trade Policy & Business Environment Advisor
▪ Assists the programme with organisational issues.
▪ Regularly consults with the unit manager and other staff and cooperates on all programme activities.
▪ Is jointly responsible with the partner institution for preparing, implementing and documenting training events, workshops, fora, team meetings and other programme activities.
2. Advising partner institutions The Trade Policy & Business Environment Advisor is responsible for
▪ Maintenance of a good flow of communication and information with the main political partner of the project, the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment (FMITI). Maintenance of a good flow of communication and information with all other involved institutions and stakeholders, in particular, Business Membership Organizations (BMOs) and Community-based Organizations (CBOs) with regards to trade policy and business environment in general and particular with regards to MSMEs in the selected value chains and to export promotion.
▪ Identification of needs of Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies, private sector, NGOs and other identified stakeholders relating to their role in promoting exports.
▪ Assistance with the setup and running of a monitoring/auditing system on pro-MSME aspects of regulations and regulatory reforms at the FMITI.
▪ Support of BMOs and CBOs in developing policy positions on enabling environment and trade facilitation.
▪ The assistance of the FMITI and aligned institutions to draft policies and regulations.
▪ Further development of the capacity of the FMITI to monitor initiatives by the Nigerian government to promote trade and industry.
▪ Supporting and overseeing the improvement of the trade portal hosted by the FMITI.
3. Collaboration with other project components The Trade Policy & Business Environment Advisor
▪ Assists colleagues on aspects relating to stocktaking of incentives and export/business promotion initiatives.
▪ Liaise with colleagues responsible for the grant facility to select potential grantees among the BMOs/CBOs for policy advocacy initiatives.
4. Analytical work and knowledge management The Trade Policy & Business Environment Advisor
▪ Provides technical assistance to local and international experts with regards to trade promotion and enabling environment
▪ Writes short analytical texts on aspects of regulations for MSMEs
▪ Ensures knowledge management: collects, processes and distributes relevant information, monitors communication and interaction between government institutions, NGOs and society through analyses of the media, direct dialogue, participation in meetings and seminars etc.
Required qualifications, competences and experience:
▪ Minimum 5 years of professional experience in research and analysis, trade policy, trade facilitation and export promotion and/or business environment, policy advocacy and private sector development Other experiences and skills
▪ Master’s/MSc in law, public policy, economics or an area that is related to the project/programme objectives, with a focus on a relevant field.
▪ Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
▪ Fluent written and oral knowledge of English
▪ Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Master’s/MSc in law, public policy, economics or an area that is related to the project/programme objectives, with a focus on a relevant field Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Pro-poor Growth and Promotion of Employment in Nigeria (SEDIN) Programme
Salary: GIZ Salary Scale for Band 4