Policemen from the Lagos State command on Wednesday continued the search for youths involved in the cult supremacy clash on the Lagos Island, during which no fewer than eight persons reportedly died.
The victims were said to have been killed after renewed bloody clashes between two cults – Onola Boys and Okepopo Boys – started on Saturday on the Lagos Island.
Some residents reportedly sustained serious injuries during the fight, while many traders lost their goods as the youths used the opportunity to break into shops.
Although the police said 20 suspects had been arrested in connection with the supremacy war, the raid on members of the rival gangs were reportedly meant to prevent a recurrence.
The Punch learnt that among areas raided were Itafaji, Isale-gangan, Princess, Anikantamo, Evans, Massey, Okepopo, Koilo, Atiko and environs.
The clash was said to have been renewed on Saturday after Okepopo Boys allegedly invaded the Onola area to celebrate the release of their leader, popularly called Falapa.
A source said, “During the attack by Okepopo Boys, a young man who was sleeping inside a Keke-Marwa (tricycle) at the front of Itafaji was killed. Some beggars in the area were also injured.
“Immediately after the attack, Onola Boys mobilsed and launched a reprisal in the Okepopo area where four persons were killed.”
It was further gathered that on Sunday, Okepopo Boys moved into the Onola area, but were resisted by the Onola Boys,who were expecting them.
It was said that the Sunday clash led to the death of another youth from Okepopo.
Some traders, whose shops had been burgled were said to have joined forces with Onola Boys on Monday for another round of clash.
A resident, who identified himself simply as Jimoh, said, “Efforts by the police teams from the Area ‘A’ Command, Adeniji Adele division, Jankara division and Lion building division to end the clashes were not successful.
“This was because as soon as the police teams left the affected areas, the warring youths resumed hostilities.”
It was gathered that the attacks had, however, reduced on Wednesday after soldiers were drafted in the areas to join the police teams on the ground.
The military team was said to have moved with the policemen to pick up those involved in the clash.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Chike Oti, said the reason for the clash had yet to be known.
He said, “The boys engaged themselves in a free-for-all. A distress call was made by some residents and the Area Commander, Area A, Lion Building, ACP Mohammed Dalandi, mobilised policemen to the scene and and arrested 20 of the rampaging boys.
“The boys fought for a yet-to-be-determined reason and we are still investigating to know the cause of their fight. However, the area is calm now, our men are everywhere.”